Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)

What type of degree do I need in order to apply?
We require a bachelor’s degree in a health care profession. Please note, the Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation (GCR) and the Master of Rehabilitation Science (MRSc) are post-professional qualifications. While taking these programs can lead to practice improvements and new roles for those already practicing in a health profession, they do not provide credentials to enable people who are not already health professionals to enter rehabilitation practice.

What do you mean by “health discipline/profession”?

Your degree in a ‘health discipline/profession’ means you are eligible to work in a health care profession in rehabilitation. The health disciplines/professions of current students and alumni include physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, kinesiology, dieticians, athletic therapy, chiropractic, prosthetics and orthotics, massage therapy, and speech language pathology.

Do I have to have 3 years of experience?The GCR and the MRSc are advanced qualifications designed for health care professionals already working in rehabilitation health care settings who have 3 or more years’ experience, are responsible for their own caseload, and assess and treat patients independently. Learners draw on their clinical experience when participating in course learning activities and completing assignments so their work experience enhances their course success.

I do not have any recent academic references. Can I use work references instead?

As outlined on the reference form, because you are applying to a graduate program it is important for referees to comment on your scholarly abilities and study skills. Therefore, academic references are preferred. If you cannot locate former professors to comment on your scholarly abilities then we suggest selecting other referees who can provide comments on the needed areas. Try to choose referees from different organizations (for e.g. don’t ask both a colleague and a supervisor from your workplace). You may be able to obtain references from people who know of your skills and abilities through volunteer work, previous employment or trans-organizational task forces. We also recommend that you show the potential referee the reference form so they have an idea of the areas in which we are looking for input. 

Could you clarify the expectations for the actual online classroom attendance/time and assignments due?

The courses in our program are not self-paced or self-directed, but run as full graduate study courses. All course activities occur online through asynchronous online discussions, live webinars and other means including collaborations among students in learning activities and assignments. You can take the courses from a distance from anywhere in the world as long as you have a reliable internet connection and a computer and software compatible with Canvas, UBC’s online learning system.

I am interested in the MRSc program but wonder if I can try some courses before applying to the MRSc?

You can apply to the UBC Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation program and if accepted, take from one to five courses before applying to the MRSc. Learners who met all UBC Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies admission criteria and policy requirements at the time of their admission to the UBC Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation (GCR) program may transfer all five certificate courses taken prior to admission to the MRSc.

IMPORTANT NOTE: All UBC graduate students have five years to complete a master’s degree. For learners who take courses as GCR learners prior to admission to the MRSc the five-year degree limit is calculated from the date of the commencement of the first GCR course. For example, a learner began the GCR program in January 2019, completed RHSC 501 and RHSC 505 in the first year then was admitted into the MRSc program starting January 2020. His/her MRSc degree must be completed within five years of commencing RHSC 501 in January 2019.  Therefore, the MRSc degree must be completed by December 31, 2023.

Is the application process different if I want to do the major project research versus the course-based MRSc option?

No. MRSc learners wanting the research option make this request after admission and after having completed a few courses in the program. There are many factors impacting on the choice including your academic standing in the program and your future plans such as wishing to conduct research in the future.

Is it possible to do a PhD upon completion of a MRSc?

Entry to a PhD is possible for MRSc graduates; however it depends on the admission requirements of the desired PhD program.

The possibilities are enhanced when you choose the Major Project option (9 credits of RHSC 587 and 589) and make course elective choices that help you to acquire the research knowledge and publication record (e.g. publish your research project) that are usually needed to be establish eligibility for admission to a PhD program. Admission requirements for PhD programs vary so you need to check them out and plan accordingly. This is true whether you are doing the MRSc or any other master’s degree, and have future PhD study in mind.

If your goal is a research (versus clinical) career, MRSc students also have the option of taking 1-2 MRSc courses then applying to transfer those credits to the UBC Rehab Sciences MSc program, or elsewhere if needed. If you are considering this option we strongly recommend first checking out graduate course credit transfer requirements at universities where you may apply for PhD studies

How do I afford it?It is wise to plan ahead. Read about ways in which you could manage the costs here.